Sunday, March 14, 2010

What can cause aggrivated periodontal disease in otherwise healthy teeth?

I need this surgery next week, which is quite unexpected. I had a cleaning last year with not a mention of this disease and I haven't had a cavity in over ten years. My teeth "look" very pretty but I apparently have alot of bone loss. I have two areas of my gums that have been swollen for over two months and I brush and floss regularly! Is there anything that can cause this disease to progress so quickly? On my estimated bill the words CHEMO Agents are listed, what is this? I also have two loose teeth. My Dr. prescribed Pennicillin also, is this standard procedure?

What can cause aggrivated periodontal disease in otherwise healthy teeth?
Yes, it is standard procedure to prescribe antibiotics whenever perio disease is present. Overall, your dentist is trying to rid an infection located in your gums and around the bone of your teeth.





Have you seen your physician for a checkup and blood tests recently? Several factors can cause periodontitis. Not to scare you, but diabetes is very common.





I am happy to hear that you are going through with surgery. It will help tremendously. Also, consider seeing your dentist/hygienist every 3 months to monitor the bone loss. Have them give you your probing depths, how deep your pockets around your teeth are. Healthy is between 1-3 mm, 4mm is not great but easy to reduce, and 5+ is unhealthy.





CHEMO agents a.k.a. chemotherapeutic agents. Examples of these include Alloderm, Arrestin, PerioChip, and Actisite. They are "site specific" and go into the pocket (gum area) around the tooth to help it heal. They don't hurt!!! The periochip is about the size of a small clipped fingernail and dissolves around the tooth and gum. Sometimes these chemotherapeutic agents contain an antibiotic. Although the word CHEMO is used, in this case it isn't related to cancer!





Other things your dentist may recommend include Chlorhexidine Gluconate or Listerine. A search for chlorhexidine can be viewed on wikipedia.org





I hope everything works out for you soon.



download

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


loose teeth © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting