Friday, November 6, 2009

Tooth Loose after apieoctomy?

I had an apioectomy done on a front tooth to remove a cyst in the bone now 8 months ago.The tooth was previously root canalled. It feels fine most of the time and at other times, itseems sensitive. At my last exam by surgeon, tooth was still lose. He suggested my general dentist do a tooth splint to support it. She, my regular dentist says its a waste of time. She won't cap it because its loose. Do I have any alternatives? Can the 2 front teeth be bonded to straighten them and make them look better? There was no visible signs of infection on last exam about a month ago, but tooth is still loose. What do you think the prognosis is? After all the time, money, pain and effort, I desperately do not want to lose this tooth. Why isn't the bone graft firmiing up the tooth? Thanks.

Tooth Loose after apieoctomy?
Hi! I'm been in dentistry for over 25 years and I totally disagree with your dentist. I always splint a front tooth after an apico because without support they can come loose and the tooth is history. I wish you had spoken to the Oral Surgeon because we always recommend as a safe guard to temp. splint the tooth for 3-6 months until we are sure 1) the infection is gone 2) new bone has formed. The fact that it is still loose after all this time is not a good sign. It is well pass the "healing" period and I think you should make plans for an implant. I think you need a heart to heart with your dentist because she obviously is clueless about apico's and how to treat the tooth after. Why she did not listen to the Oral Surgeon is critical. The bone grafting has failed and you need to discuss a partial credit towards a restored implant. AND NO you can not put a crown on this tooth. It would be a total waste of monies and you will lose the tooth either way. Sorry, but you need to discuss this now and include the Oral Surgeon in on this as he can sink the implant after extraction, but you need to wear a flipper for 3-4 months. I wish I had better news, but a loose tooth after this length of time is gone.M



safari browser

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


loose teeth © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting